Friday, January 1, 2010

Healthy Doughnuts

I love breakfast--it is the best meal of the day. And I love baked things like scones and doughnuts. Unfortunately, it is difficult finding a 'healthy' version of either of these things. So, I decided to modify a baked doughnut recipe to see if I could come up with both a healthy and delicious doughnut. Here is the modified recipe I came up with:

1 cup sprouted spelt flour
1/2 cup date sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 tub (150 gm ) plain yogurt
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

For topping--small amount of sugar and cinnamon (Alternatively you could just drizzle honey over it)

Method :

  1. In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
  2. Combine the egg, yogurt, oil, lemon juice and vanilla and mix well.
  3. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
  4. Coat the tube pans with nonstick cooking spray. Divide batter among pans.
  5. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
  6. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
  7. Dust with sugar/cinnamon mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment