Thursday, October 8, 2009

Something sweet

Well...I wanted something sweet to eat today. Maybe it's because I just bought a huge bag of candy for trick-or-treaters;-) Anyway, I thought I'd give making a version of 'Reese's Cups' a try without using a recipe.

I pulled out an old peanut butter jar from the fridge--made from peanuts only with a bit of salt--100% natural no sugar added. I threw that in a pot--about 1.5 cups worth with about 3/4 cup of organic coconut oil and a TBS of vanilla (these are all approximations but fairly close I think). I then added honey to taste--I would say about 1/4 cup. After heating this up until smooth, I poured it into aluminum muffin cups and put in the freezer.

In a different pot, I heated up 3/4 cup of coconut oil, some vanilla (probably one TBS) and 3/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder (Ghiradelli's to be exact). After heating to medium and stirring until smooth I added more honey--about 1/2 cup (to taste) and poured this mixture on top of the cooled peanut butter mixture. I then put the peanut butter/chocolate cups into the freezer.

After our walk with the dog I took one out for a bite;-) Ummm...tasty. A hint of coconut flavor but all in all very flavorful.

Now I don't know much about coconut oil but from things I've read it's supposed to be good for you. Of course like everything else there are good points and bad points and it all boils down to how many fatty acid chains it has which can make your head spin. But I really like the way it behaves in little frozen treats like these. It helps firm up things such as cocoa and peanut butter that normally would not be firm. (Unfortunately, these cups melt at room temperature). Anyway, I like using unsweetened cocoa powder and being able to add my own sweetener. There are only 15 calories/TBS and if you want, you could add a low calorie sweetener to it. In this case I used honey which I wouldn't say is low calorie but certainly better for you than refined white sugar. The coconut oil helps make this cocoa/sweetener mixture nice and firm.

I would like to make my own coconut milk too. I've read somewhere you can make it by using unsweetened dry coconut flakes. I'll be going to Whole Foods at some point to replenish my stock;-) We do like eating the chocolate cream pie which is made from coconut milk and if I could just make my own, it would be really low calorie and also without the gums etc you find in canned coconut milk. Anyway...I think it might be a bit tricky. That may be next on my list of things to do.

Here are a few photos of the Reeses cups--one before the chocolate mixture was poured on and the finished product. Enjoy;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment