Sunday, October 11, 2009

A feast for the eyes

I saw some beautiful looking carrots the other day at the store and thought making a carrot cake would be fun so I bought them. Today, I used the carrot cake recipe in Elana's cookbook to make this cake. Amazingly--3 cups of shredded carrots and 3 cups of almond flour!!! I took a photo of the carrots on top of the dough before I mixed it all in. The cake itself was very tasty--however, the coconut frosting I made (suggested in the book) didn't turn out well at all. It's made out of coconut milk, agave nectar, arrowroot powder and coconut oil. I think I made it exactly as instructed but it turned out very sticky and gooey--not 'fluffy'. But it still tasted good so I put it on the cake. Next time, I'll make her egg white/agave frosting. I think the idea was for the frosting to be like normal cream cheese frosting--just didn't quite turn out that way.

I also wanted to make something for my breakfast in the mornings this week since I get up early to go exercise so run out the door, exercise then eat something at work. I found this quick yogurt bread recipe on someone's blog--I think 'more than alive'. Anyway, thought I'd give it a try. It actually turned out quite nice. I made it out of spelt flour, yogurt and honey--and the normal butter, egg, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg etc. I took a photo of this too although it doesn't look that interesting. I think next time I'll throw some nuts and oatmeal in it. It's a good starting base though. I'll see if it keeps me full till lunch this week;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment